Crafty Bird

Welcome to my nest of fibre, fabric, paper, and beads...

Name:
Location: Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

Thanks for dropping by! I have a passion for all sorts of crafty goodness. Creating items with my hands and heart is a perfect complement to my working life.

Thursday, February 16, 2006

Embossed Leaves

Well, I have discovered Firefox and it seems to be a bit better than Safari. Thanks to my first all time commenter for the suggestions! It sure is nice to have people comment - I feel like a real blogger!

A little bit about me and my purpose for this blog. I mainly envision this blog as a medium for me to share my knitting accomplishments (and defeats) as well as other crafty stuff I am into. I was tired of lurking at the many knitting and crafting blogs and wanted to have more of a dialogue with other bloggers (and non-bloggers too!).

I have been knitting for one and a half years now. My friend, Karin, taught me the basics while we were on a road trip during the summer of 2004 and the rest I have self-taught through books and the fabulous online resources out there. I actually resisted learning to knit for well over a year as I didn't think I needed another craftism to spend money on and occupy my time. Silly me. I find knitting very meditative and a great complement to my scholastic studies! So, thanks Karin for sharing this fantastic activity with me!

Enough blabber - on to the photos!

Here's a picture of my second pair of socks every knit. My first pair were knit for my Mum for Christmas 2005 - I'll post a picture of them soon.



Here's a picture of them on my feet (foot).



How about a close-up of those fabulous embossed leaves:



Pattern: Embossed Leaves Socks from Interweave Knits Winter 2005
Yarn: Koigu Painter's Palette 100% Merino, 2 skeins
Colour: P21733 - Purple variagated
Needle: 2.5 mm
Mods: I didn't do the rib ktbl as it was too challenging with the mini-dowels (aka Addis)
Time: Umm...December to early January.

I realize that this yarn is probably not the best to emphasize the pattern. And that the socks are a bit too big (I know now to knit them with a little negative ease). But I love them anyways! I really enjoy knitting socks as a small project. I knit this pair on one needle (Addi turbos) with Magic Loop method. I liked finishing both socks at the same time, but it makes them less portable as a project.

Alright, enough for now. More knitting and crafting to follow.

Ciao!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those turned out beautifully! I especially like leaf motif patterns...guess because I'm a nature buff.

Glad the Firefox is working out for you!

February 17, 2006 7:36 a.m.  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home