Crafty Bird

Welcome to my nest of fibre, fabric, paper, and beads...

Name:
Location: Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

Thanks for dropping by! I have a passion for all sorts of crafty goodness. Creating items with my hands and heart is a perfect complement to my working life.

Sunday, February 19, 2006

Trying to catch up!

I finally have to admit to my self that I have more projects waiting to be knit than I will ever complete in the next year. Between the demands of school and life, there is only so much time in the day for leisurly pursuits.

So this means that my projects tend to be ones that others have long since completed. This is nice in a way as I can see where people had problems with the pattern or yarn selection and adjust my project accordingly.

At this moment I am working on River from Rowan 38. Here's an in-progress shot.


And here's a picture of what usuallly happens when I put any wool product on the floor.


Yes, I have a wool-eating cat. Oscar is lovable, sweet, and a great cat for a dog-lover like myself, but he eats wool! Anything over 50% is fair game: socks, yarn, sweaters, gloves, you name it! Needless to say, I have to be very careful where I leave my projects.

Over the holidays, I finally sat down to try a little spinning. My Mum lent me her Louet spinning wheel and some roving last Fall and I was eager to find some time to give it a whirl. Here is my first ever attempt at spinning:


I then spun up some Fleece Artist roving picked up at my LYS.


Notice the lovely overspun sections and the thick and thin! I decided after these attempts that a lesson should be in my future if I plan on continuing with spinning! I do like it very much and hope to take a lesson if I can find someone locally who teaches.

I did manage to knit up the pink and green yarn into an iPod cozy for my brand new iPod! I love my iPod as I can listen to all of the great knitting podcasts out there. And I love that my iPod cozy is knit from my handspun yarn!

Another shot:


I just cast on 12 stitches and knit garter stitch until I ran out of yarn, sewed up the sides and, voila! iPod cozy! The Fleece Artist yarn is lovely, soft, and the colours are wonderful.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh I love your blog! It turned out wonderfully and Oscar looks great!
What is "River"? I don't think I have seen that one... you will have to show it to me. I am trying to work on my silly floaty scark (monette) which some website said would be done after a few hours of knitting. its been over a year now for me! ahh. but you and all of the other bloggers really are inspiring. :) excellent picture too!

February 20, 2006 4:43 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like the over twisted parts, just tell everyone you did it on purpose :)

February 21, 2006 12:10 a.m.  
Blogger iHanna said...

the cozy is cudddlycozy, love these colours SO much. nice choise!

February 21, 2006 3:03 a.m.  
Blogger Cally said...

your first spin looks so lovely, and the pink one too.
and i love how Oscar matches the wool he is eating in the photo, i wonder if that happens with all the colours he eats ;-)

March 04, 2006 7:10 p.m.  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home