Crafty Bird

Welcome to my nest of fibre, fabric, paper, and beads...

Name:
Location: Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

Thanks for dropping by! I have a passion for all sorts of crafty goodness. Creating items with my hands and heart is a perfect complement to my working life.

Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Thrifting goodies

I found a few items during my recent trip to White Rock. If you don't know it, White Rock is a great seaside community with many long-time residents. This means there are wonderful finds to be made in the thrift stores! I managed to pick up some vintage buttons:


And some great napkins!
There are 2 of the one with the dark brown border. I think these would make very mod pillows.

Of course, back at home I have a number of thrift stores to haunt and have found some fantastic books lately. Here are some embroidery and needlepoint books: Crewel Embroidery by Erica Wilson; a Sunset Needlepoint book published in 1977; and Needlework Alphabets and Designs by Dover Publications that has wonderful designs in chart form.
And these:
Patterns for dolls and toys! Oh, and this one by Mildred Graves Ryan published in 1979. It's very comprehensive at 689 pages:
And, of course, a macrame book:
As you can see, I found lots of books! All very reasonably priced. the macrame one has lots of how to pictures and has a pattern for a dress, belts, necklaces, and other macramey goodness. It was published in 1971 and the author/designer is Lynn Paulin.

Book are hard for me to pass up! I can't wait to make some softies and practice some embroidery from these books.

1 Comments:

Blogger Cally said...

I go weak at the knees for vintage blue buttons!

March 04, 2006 7:03 p.m.  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home