Crafty Bird

Welcome to my nest of fibre, fabric, paper, and beads...

Name:
Location: Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

Thanks for dropping by! I have a passion for all sorts of crafty goodness. Creating items with my hands and heart is a perfect complement to my working life.

Monday, October 23, 2006

Lara

First off, finished project news! Lara is off the needles, blocked, and ready to keep me toasty and warm this winter. Yeh, I know, I live in Victoria, but I really do wear a lot of sweaters here in the winter - it's the damp cold you know.
Sorry about the flash picture...

Specs are as follows:
Pattern: Lara by Debbie Bliss in her Alpaca Silk book
Yarn: Alpaca Silk in the pattern colourway 25010. I used a little over 14 balls for a size medium
Needles: US 9 / 5.2 mm Denise circulars
Gauge: 18 st & 24 rws per 4" after blocking
Started: September 16, 2006
Finished: October 19, 2006
Comments: I liked the unusual construction of this sweater (from cuff to cuff) and it was a fairly easy knit. It went quickly and the yarn is really soft and great to work with. I love the colour, which is hard to represent in the photos posted here - it's an orange/coral blend. The seaming went well, except for one side that I had a little trouble keeping things matched up.









I love my new Lara sweater!

In Socktoberfest news, I am getting to the very top of one of my Embroidered Stockings from Fall 2006 Vogue Knitting. I've had to figure out the leg shaping as I go because of my skinny and high calf muscles. Also, my knitting is now a lot slower since I switched to the larger rosewood dpns. Cascade Fixation yarn demands metal needles! I've also cast on for the Norwegian Stockings using Devon yarn from Elann with both 3.25 mm and 2.75 mm needles. I think the 2.75 mm sock will win the gauge war (skinny calves, remember).

In the spirit of Socktoberfest, I am taking a felted slipper class at the smaller of the local yarn stores here in town. I've never taken a knitting class before so it's fun to learn from a real-live person versus the internet or a book! The slipper pattern is from Fiber Trends and is super quick to knit. I can see quite a few of these slippers completed as gifts.

5 Comments:

Blogger Carley said...

oh that looks fab! well done! just over one month to knit! that is knitting light years in my book. its beautiful!

October 24, 2006 5:53 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

SO pretty, I love the shape of it.

October 24, 2006 8:38 a.m.  
Blogger Macoco said...

Great job on the sweater! The color is really nice.

October 25, 2006 1:07 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very nice! Can't wait to see progress on the embroidered VK stockings, I think they're SO beautiful.

October 27, 2006 12:05 a.m.  
Blogger Mandy said...

Lara and Orangina look lovely. Any chance of model shots? :)

October 27, 2006 4:21 p.m.  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home