Crafty Bird

Welcome to my nest of fibre, fabric, paper, and beads...

Name:
Location: Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

Thanks for dropping by! I have a passion for all sorts of crafty goodness. Creating items with my hands and heart is a perfect complement to my working life.

Friday, October 27, 2006

Yarn storage

A few weeks ago I saw this lovely dresser on Craigslist and knew it would make the perfect stash storage centre!
It's an old art deco style dresser with lovely bakelite handles.

The finish is a bit mottled, but I like the lines and the size is perfect. I shuffled things around in my section of our study to accommodate the dresser - now the cheapo, unfinished wood bookshelf is hidden in the closet with all of my knitting and crafting books and card-making supplies stored inside.
I love having my stash easily accessible and organized as I am a visual person and need to see what I have. Hopefully having everything right under my nose will prevent any accidental stash enhancements...hopefully.

I've finished one of my Embroidered Stocking socks (not the embroidery) and will start the other this weekend. I haven't actually been knitting much this week as I've had a few books that I've wanted to finish. I haven't mastered the art of knitting while reading yet!

I did want to show you a sweet little pillow that I've had for quite a while. It was made by my mother with some woven cloth she made back in the early eighties probably. I think it's a lovely way to display some of my broaches.
The top two are from my grandmother, the owl I purchased recently, and the horse broach I've had since I was a horse-crazy little girl. I've actually seen the horse broach for sale as a pendant on the web - a sure sign I am getting older when items from my childhood (and teens!) are considered "retro" and funky.

Have a great Friday everyone! Thanks for all of your kind comments on Orangina and Lara - much appreciated!

7 Comments:

Blogger granolagirl said...

Great stash keeping dresser! Don't you find that it's almost like redicovering your stash again? I came home from working in northern BC this summer to all my yarn all organized in drawers of a brand new organizer (I think my boyfriend just figured the yarn was taking over our small house).

October 28, 2006 9:16 a.m.  
Blogger aija said...

That dresser is striking, great find! (I love CL!) :)

October 28, 2006 10:46 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a wonderful dresser. And I'm so envious of your sweet brooches, I'm a bit brooch crazy these days. Those are beauties!

October 28, 2006 8:37 p.m.  
Blogger Carley said...

what a good cragislist find! oh that I were there to sip to tea and look at all your yarn neatly organized waiting to be made into beautiful things...

October 29, 2006 11:26 p.m.  
Blogger Macoco said...

I really like the bureau! The bakelite handles are gorgeous.

October 31, 2006 12:36 p.m.  
Blogger Heather said...

LOVE the dresser!!! What a great find!! Great broaches too!

November 02, 2006 6:26 a.m.  
Blogger carmelclose said...

What a great find but imagine the room you will have to enhance your stash when it's all organized and neat. Oops, it might end up spilling over!

November 03, 2006 8:17 a.m.  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home