Crafty Bird

Welcome to my nest of fibre, fabric, paper, and beads...

Name:
Location: Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

Thanks for dropping by! I have a passion for all sorts of crafty goodness. Creating items with my hands and heart is a perfect complement to my working life.

Monday, December 04, 2006

Breaking the Ice

Hi there! Well, I seem to get in these non-blogging ruts where I know I haven't blogged in forever, but I just can't get a post down... silly me. I have been knitting a bit, crafting a bit, working on the thesis, and also enjoying the socializing that comes with the impending holidays.
Port Hardy, BC

I've been making a few gifts for people so please excuse the vagueness surrounding who the items are intended for - it'll just be a surprise! A few weeks ago during the rainiest, windiest, snowiest day in a long while, I travelled up Vancouver Island for a research workshop. We couldn't make it to our destination that day because of a mud slide blocking the highway, but did manage to arrive the next morning. I wasn't driving so I had plenty of time to work and knit in the back seat. A great distraction from the horrible weather.

RY Cashsoft 4ply Beanie

I was hoping to start on Grumperina's Odessa hat pattern, however, I forgot one set of needles. I improvised and made a simple 3 x 2 rib beanie out of the lovely Rowan RY Cashsoft 4ply I brought with me (knit with 3.25 mm Addi circulars-magic loop).

We've had plenty of snow and cold weather here on the west coast over the past week or so, which is great for staying indoors with a hot cup of tea and some knitting. I completed a fantastically quick pair of mittens from the Fleece Artist "Favourite Soft Mittens" kit.










The mitts are knit with 4.75 mm dpns using one strand of Blue Face Leicester 100% wool and one strand of mohair, both in a deep green/brown colourway. The mohair gives them a lovely fuzziness. I only used 99 grams of the yarn and have about 30 grams of each yarn left over. Maybe I should make a third mitt just in case one gets lost ;-)

I have not been working on my Embroidered Stockings with just the embroidery to finish them. I also have stalled on my Norwegian stockings, but I am hoping that the Stranded Colourwork Knitalong will give me a bit of motivation! I've put the button on the sidebar in case you are interested in participating or just taking a peek at what people are working on.

You may notice the link to "Finished Knits" on the sidebar - the link is to my knits set using Flickr pictobrowser. I think it's an cleaner way to view photos in Flickr as you don't have to go to the Flickr site and then click on the set you want to view. If you want info on how to add it to your blog, just look the bottom right corner on the new page.

Thank you for your comments on the felted slippers - they are keeping A's feet toasty warm.

I hope to be back soon ... in the meantime, be well.

2 Comments:

Blogger Alison said...

Those mittens are sooo luscious! I'm drooling.

December 04, 2006 9:39 p.m.  
Blogger miss ewe said...

Oooh... mittens. Those look soft and lovely. Is that a Fleece Artist kit? I just bought one and am excited to make "My favourite mittens".

December 06, 2006 6:55 a.m.  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home