Crafty Bird

Welcome to my nest of fibre, fabric, paper, and beads...

Name:
Location: Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

Thanks for dropping by! I have a passion for all sorts of crafty goodness. Creating items with my hands and heart is a perfect complement to my working life.

Wednesday, December 06, 2006

linocutting 101

I love to learn new crafty skills and techniques and a few weekends ago I had the pleasure of taking a linocutting class at a local art supply store. It was a great day of learning and creating - just what I needed! The instructor was wonderful giving us the information we needed with enough time to let the new information sink in as we developed a design for our stamp. We created a 2 colour stamp by first drawing a design on the linocut block and carving out the design on the lines. Here's a picture of the block after it was carved.
This first version of the stamp was printed on all of the cards using the lighter colour of ink. I used gold, then mixed in some silver as I went along, and then added a teal (which looks green when mixed with the metallic paint). The print on the left shows the base layer of ink.
The next step is to carve out more of the design on the block - this is the area that will remain the colour of the first block print. For the second printing of the block, I used a dark purple, black, and brown on the different cards. You can see the image with the second layer of ink on the right in the photo above. I really love the results of all of the cards!


















I also twisted the stamp 180 for a few of the prints ... I like how these images look so different than the others.

Our instructor advised us to sign the cards as limited edition prints - how fun! I titled my set "Peonies", one of my favourite flowers. I'm going to send a few of these out for Christmas/Hannukah cards and save the rest for special correspondence.

Tonight I had the opportunity to visit with a few knitters at a local coffee shop. I had a great time! So nice to sit, knit, and chat with these two lovely women. I haven't been able to find a local s&b group in town so I really hope that we will be able to meet on a regular basis in the new year and maybe even add a few people.


peace ... courage ... acceptance
::: may all of these be with you

enjoy...
~r

10 Comments:

Blogger Heather said...

I remember doing lino cutting in highschool and having so much fun with it. Your prints turned out beautifully!!! Really, really lovely.

December 07, 2006 1:07 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love your lino cuts. I've had all the materials to try this out for the longest time, but have shied away from it. Maybe a class is in order.

December 08, 2006 6:53 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those prints look so amazing! Man, you've been productive lately!

December 08, 2006 8:43 a.m.  
Blogger granolagirl said...

What a beatiful lino cutting! Great cards! You could do some red green and gold ones and send them as Christmas cards!

December 08, 2006 3:59 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your prints are beautiful, Robin! I especially love the 180-turn ones. Inspiring.

December 10, 2006 10:01 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i have just recently taken up printmaking again and can't believe i had forgotten how much fun it was. your prints turned out really beautiful, i especially like the brown. hopefully this is a sign of more printing to come ;0) x

December 10, 2006 1:43 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

these are gorgeous robin!
I love the colors and the design! I hope you find time to do more of this sort of thing - you have such an eye for it!

December 11, 2006 10:42 p.m.  
Blogger Twisted Knitter said...

The prints are beautiful! Great idea making them limited editions.

December 12, 2006 4:55 p.m.  
Blogger (Angie) Norththreads: said...

These are gorgeous@!!!!!!!

December 29, 2006 10:20 a.m.  
Blogger Cally said...

great results, especially for a 1st timer.

April 18, 2007 6:17 a.m.  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home