Crafty Bird

Welcome to my nest of fibre, fabric, paper, and beads...

Name:
Location: Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

Thanks for dropping by! I have a passion for all sorts of crafty goodness. Creating items with my hands and heart is a perfect complement to my working life.

Friday, June 30, 2006

Where did that camera go?

Hmmm....my dear partner seems to have absconded with the camera once again! And what is a blog post with no pictures? Boring, I say! Unless you divulge deep personal secrets or go on a rant!

Since you aren't getting any of my deep, dark secrets from me today, I might as well have a little rant. So, I have a question for anyone who reads this blog. What is the proper blog etiquette when you join an organized swap, make some lovely things for the three (yes three) recipients you have been assigned, add lots of extras and generally send out a great parcel, and then wait and wait and wait and WAIT and NEVER receive anything in the mail from your swap partner (who is unknown to me). Do I:
  1. suck it up and chalk it up to experience and never join another swap due to my devastating experience on my first swap and my subsequent bitter attitude regarding the unfairness of the world (pout, stamp feet);
  2. give the swap partner the benefit of the doubt that they are deathly ill (possibly a coma?), they have sewn their fingers to their brilliant creation but can't get the blood stains off the item and also have no fingers with which to type me a note, or that the parcel was lost in the mail (an honest possibility); or
  3. file a complaint with the blog swap police so that the irresponsible swap participant is punished accordingly for her/his uncraftbloggerlike conduct (or possibly report the lack of receipt of a swap package to the swap organizer)???

I mean really? My very first swap and I am left high and dry. Plus, Oscar is a little miffed and you know that cats hold a grudge. Despite my slightly exaggerated rant, what is the proper way to deal with delinquent swap partners? What do you think?

Alright, come back later for a post with pictures of a finished project! Yup - I have completed one of the many, many projects I am working on - so happy!!! :)

9 Comments:

Blogger Georgia said...

Oh, I'm so sorry that happened to you!

If you let the organizers know what happened, they can contact the person and if it turns out that they did outright neglect their part of the deal, they will be banned, which is definitely a good idea so that they can't burn someone else!

Also, some of the well-organized group swaps will assign fairies to send packages to those who got burned by their partners.

At any rate, I think option 3 is the way to go :)

June 30, 2006 2:18 p.m.  
Blogger Mandy said...

I have to agree, option 3 sounds like the best idea. I'm sorry to hear that you had such a crappy swap experience!

June 30, 2006 6:27 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dang that bites. #3 is probably the most diplomatic, and what I would do. I hope it gets sorted and something lovely comes your way soon!

June 30, 2006 10:14 p.m.  
Blogger Heather said...

That sucks! I've always received something in my swaps luckily but I did have one instance of not even receiving a thank you which actually hurt my feelings...I hope that person wasn't one of those dopes who receives and doesn't send out!

July 01, 2006 8:54 p.m.  
Blogger Carley said...

I say number 3 too. Bummer.
I look forward to your project though when you find the camera!!!

July 03, 2006 1:46 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That sucks! Karma will bite them back for sure. I haven't been involved with a swap but all the advice here sounds good.

July 03, 2006 11:15 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I participated in my first swap in June. I haven't received any feedback (I thought I did a good job, I would have been happy to get it :) and I haven't gotten my parcel yet. It's too bad because I have heard of some excellent swapping experiences. I am going to contact the moderator in a couple of weeks (giving them a bit more time) and then try another swap.
What a small world about last night! We were probably sitting just tables away from each other!

July 04, 2006 11:49 a.m.  
Blogger Irie said...

Call the swap police!! If you were assigned THREE different recipients, then it seems only fair that your name would have been assigned to three different people in return - if this is the case, then you're a victim of three delinquent swap partners!

July 04, 2006 12:57 p.m.  
Blogger Robin said...

You guys rock! Thanks for your support and feedback. I shall write a letter to the swap organizer. Of course, this was my plan all along with only a little bit of foot stamping to make me feel a bit better ;0). I'll let you know what happens.

Just to clarify: I only had one swap partner, who owned 3 pets. She was not the person who was to make something for my cat as it was an anonymous swap.

July 04, 2006 8:57 p.m.  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home