Crafty Bird

Welcome to my nest of fibre, fabric, paper, and beads...

Name:
Location: Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

Thanks for dropping by! I have a passion for all sorts of crafty goodness. Creating items with my hands and heart is a perfect complement to my working life.

Wednesday, July 05, 2006

I am accessorized

First off, I can't wait, I have actually finished my accessory purse based on the Melanie Falick accessory pouch pattern in Handknit Holidays! Here she is in all her burgundy and gold glory.
I sewed a double-sided lining to the interior of the purse so you can see the gold fabric peeking through the yarn over holes from the outside. The gold fabric matches some gold flecks in the tweed. As well, there are a couple of pockets for cell phone, iPod, lip balm, etc.









The handle was a bit tricky to attach as I wanted the purse to open wide enough to see what was in the bottom (yes, I like an organized purse). I attached the tabs a few inches down inside the lining so the top of the bag opens quite wide. I attached only one wooden handle, mainly because those things are just darn expensive I didn't want to buy two. I think I like it with one handle anyways :) I used a thrifted (vintage?) button with an i-cord loop for the closure. I used my new purse when I attended a party on Canada Day and it stayed snug on my shoulder the entire evening. I am pleased! Further specs for this project are: 2.5 balls Karisma Ull-Tweed, 100% wool in colour 04 (burgundy) found on sale at my LYS. Lining is 100% cotton.
We have been having a lot of fun her at chez Crafty Bird. Attended a fantastic party on July 1st that was held in a penthouse suite of a local downtown hotel – we had a wonderful view of the fireworks from a rooftop deck! We also attended Folkfest this past weekend and saw Neko Case perform – she rocks! Great show. Coincidentally, another local blogger had the same idea on Monday.
I managed to bake this weekend and whipped up a batch of Chewy Flapjacks from the recipe posted by Yarnstorm. Now normally I am not much of a day-to-day cook, but I do like to bake once in a while. I just love desert with oatmeal in it – I think it is because I can justify to myself that oatmeal is healthy, therefore the desert is not that bad for me (ha, ha). I know, I am a bit deluded. They were delicious!
Oh, and I finally received my Wee Wonderfuls Kitty, Bunny and Bear pattern book on Tuesday! It looks so cute and I had such a laugh when I read the first two words, “Alrighty then.” It set the mood for the rest of this wonderful little book. Can’t wait to make a little bunny or bear!

Finally, a big thank you to everyone who commented with advice on what to do about my delinquent swap situation. Your support is appreciated and I’ll let you know how it turns out!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great purse! We unfortunately missed all the fireworks (way past Jack's bedtime), but we could definitely hear them go off for a good while :)

July 05, 2006 11:19 p.m.  
Blogger Carley said...

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the purse Robin!
It turned out to be just smashing!
It looks great and those colors are very you and will go well with the fall wardrobe!!!
It is fit for the fall anthropologie catalgoue in fact, but it infitely better because you are the only one to have it and is so personalized!
yay!

July 06, 2006 1:20 a.m.  
Blogger Heather said...

That purse is fabulous! Be proud.

July 06, 2006 9:32 a.m.  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home